How to Prepare for a Mammogram
If you have previously had a mammogram performed at another clinic, have the reports and films sent or bring them with you to your examination.
Tell your Health Professional if you:
- Are or might be pregnant. A mammogram is an X-ray test with exposure to low-dose radiation and is not performed for routine screening during pregnancy.
- Are breast-feeding. A mammogram may not provide clear results in breasts that contain milk.
- Have breast implants. Breast implants require a modified mammogram method.
- Have previously had a breast biopsy. Knowing the location of scar tissue will help the radiologist read your mammogram accurately.
On the Day of the Mammogram
- Do not use any deodorant, perfume, powders or ointments on your breasts. The residue left on your skin by these substances may interfere with the X-rays.
- Wear a two-piece outfit to easily undress above the waist.