While you are currently engaged in your nursing program, Saint Thomas Health can provide you with an opportunity to put theory to practice as a Nurse Extern.
As a Nurse Extern, you will be able to gain hands-on knowledge and experience, providing you a clinical advantage as you transition from your education to a graduate nurse. Please click on the Search Jobs link to apply for any open extern position.
The following are the requirements and highlights for Nurse Externs:
- Completion of your first semester of clinicals (Fundamentals of Nursing)
- Two letters of recommendation and transcripts are required
- Externs participate in a week of orientation, generally conducted during your summer or winter break
- Externs work under the supervision of an RN to provide assigned patient care activities
- Extern positions are PRN status, requiring a minimum of 2 shifts per month, while more shifts are available based on needs of the facility/unit
Nursing departments and training courses vary by campus. Please contact your recruiter if you have questions.