Safe Sleep Initiative
Keeping your baby safe while sleeping is very important. Healthy infants can die if they are in an unsafe sleep environment. Help your baby to sleep safely by following these steps for every sleep time.
- Place your baby to sleep on his or her back for sleep, including all naps and at night.
- Use safety approved crib with a firm crib mattress covered by a fitted sheet.
- Keep soft objects and loose bedding out of the sleep area. The crib should be free of toys, pillows, loose blankets and bumpers to prevent suffocation or entrapment.
- Infants should not sleep in an adult bed, on a couch or on a chair alone, with you or anyone else. Infants are safest in in their own crib, bassinet or portable crib.
- Keep your baby’s crib or bassinet in the same room where you sleep. Room-sharing is recommended, not bed-sharing.
- Devices like bouncy seats, swings, infant carriers or strollers should not be used for routine sleep. Wedges and positioners should not be used.
- Do not allow anyone to smoke around your baby.
- Do not allow infants to get too hot. Over-bundling and covering the face should be avoided.
- Breastfeeding is recommended.
- Follow healthcare provider guidelines for regular vaccines and health checkups.
- Tell everyone who cares for your baby to use these safe sleep steps.