James McDowell MD
James G. McDowell, Jr., MD, FACSDr. McDowell currently serves as Chief of Surgery at Saint Thomas Midtown. He is a board certified general surgeon specializing in minimally invasive weight loss/bariatric surgery. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Houston and his medical degree from the University Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Residency was completed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and a member of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons (ASMBS). In addition to weight loss surgery, Dr. McDowell is certified to perform the placement and removal of the Orbera intra-gastric balloon, a non-surgical weight loss procedure.
Dr. McDowell and his wife, Jen have two children. In his free time, he enjoys hunting, skiing, and fishing.
- University of Houston - B.S.
- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio - M.D.
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center - Residency
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Nashville Surgical Society
- The H. William Scott Society
- State of Tennessee
Physician Focus - Dr. James McDowell