Saint Thomas DeKalb Hospital is proud to support Blood Assurance
Blood Assurance is a non-profit, full-service regional blood center serving more than 50 health care facilities in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and North Carolina. Founded in 1972 as a joint effort of the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Medical Society, the Chattanooga Area Hospital Council, and the Chattanooga Jaycees, the mission of Blood Assurance is to provide a safe and adequate supply of blood and blood components to every area patient in need.
Currently, there are 12 locations and 10 bloodmobiles to collect life-saving blood products, used by area patients.
Blood Assurance is a member of the American Association of Blood Banks, America’s Blood Centers, the Tennessee Association of Blood Banks, the Tennessee Hospital Association, and the Chattanooga Area Hospital Council.
Blood Assurance is licensed by the Tennessee Department of Public Health, the Georgia Department of Human Resources and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Donors must be at least 17 years old (16 years old with parental consent) and weigh at least 110 pounds.
- When checked by our donor care specialist, your hemoglobin (iron) level must be at least 12.5 g/dL.
- Your blood pressure cannot be higher than 180/100 mm Hg or lower than 90/50 mm Hg (Even if you are currently taking medication, as long as your blood pressure meets these requirements, you are eligible to donate).
- Your body temperature must be between 96.4 and 100.4 degrees.
- Your pulse rate must be no lower than 50 beats/minute and no higher than 100 beats/minute.
- You will also be asked a series of questions to ensure that you are eligible to donate. (Please note that answering “yes” to certain questions will not automatically defer you from donating blood.)
- Certain medications and medical conditions will prevent you from donating, at least temporarily. Call 800-962-0628 to inquire about your medications and medical conditions.
For more information you may visit the Blood Assurance website here>>